FeaturedFootball

Messi to sign new two-year deal with Barcelona

Lionel Messi’s future keeps on making headlines with the latest update suggesting the Argentine will sign on for another two years at the Camp Nou.
According to ESPN Argentina, Messi is close to penning an extension until 2023 and Barcelona will also do all they can to try and reunite the captain with Neymar.
Rumors about a Neymar return have ramped up in recent weeks with the Brazilian having reportedly frozen talks about a contract renewal at Paris Saint-Germain.
Neymar said last week that “everything is nearly sorted” with regards his new contract, but you can expect speculation to continue while the deal remains unsigned.
It’s still difficult to see how Barca can afford to land Neymar. The club’s debts have been well-documented and players will surely have to be sold this summer.
There have been whispers that Messi could take a 50% pay cut to help ease the club’s financial problems, while there are also rumors Joan Laporta is hoping to land a mega sponsorship deal too.
Talk of a Neymar return has been around almost ever since he left Barca for PSG in 2017. Bringing the Brazilian back certainly won’t be easy, but PSG will have a big decision to make over the 29-year-old if he does not renew his current contract which expires in 2022.
Barcelona could find themselves in hot water after captain Lionel Messi invited the squad and their partners around to his house for lunch on Monday.
La Liga has now reportedly launched an investigation into the matter to decide whether Barca players breached coronavirus regulations, according to multiple reports.
In Catalonia the current restrictions state people are allowed to meet inside and outside but only in groups of up to six.
The squad apparently all spent time at Messi’s house outside in the garden with separate tables and the players respecting social distancing requirements.
However, ABC report that the meeting did break restrictions and is considered a “serious offense” because it “puts a group of people at risk of contagion.”
The report adds that Atletico players also held a similar event a few weeks ago but apparently informed La Liga in advance and offered details of what had been planned.
Barcelona don’t seem too worried about the issue at present.
ESPN report a Barca spokesman had said the club “has not received any notification of an investigation from La Liga or local authorities and that it was an issue for the players to deal with.”
It’s not the first time that players in La Liga have been in the spotlight for enjoying a get-together during the pandemic.
Sevilla players including Ever Banega, Franco Vazquez, Luuk de Jong and Lucas Ocampos were spotted at a barbecue in May which prompted pretty swift apologies from the quartet.
Barcelona players were given Monday afternoon off and Tuesday but will return to work on Wednesday morning to prepare for the weekend’s crunch clash with Atletico.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button